- Antioxidant and Diuretic Properties May Lower Blood Pressure.
- May Contain Cancer-Fighting Compounds.
- May Protect from Chronic Diseases Thanks to Anti-Inflammatory Effects.
- May Help with Digestive Problems, Including Ulcers.
- May Treat Bad Breath and Prevent Cavities.
- May Have Antibacterial Effects and Treat Infections.
- May Improve Breathing and Oxygen Use.
- May Lower Blood Sugar Levels.
Other Potential Health Benefits of Cardamom:
- Liver protection: Cardamom extract may decrease elevated liver enzymes, triglyceride and cholesterol levels. They may also prevent liver enlargement and liver weight, which reduces the risk of fatty liver
- Anxiety: One rat study suggests that cardamom extract may prevent anxious behaviors. This may be because low blood levels of antioxidants have been linked to the development of anxiety and other mood disorders.
- Weight loss: A study in 80 overweight and obese prediabetic women found a link between cardamom and slightly reduced waist circumference. However, rat studies on weight loss and the spice have not found significant results.