Ayurveda Explains Ragi’s benefits in two types:
- INTERNAL Benefits (in body)
- Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is a progressive bone disease that is characterized by a decrease in bone density. In Ayurveda, this depletion of the bone tissue is called Asthikshaya. This is due to nutrient deficiency because of malnutrition and imbalance of Vata dosha. Ragi is a good source of natural calcium. It helps in strengthening bones and also helps to balance Vata. This reduces the risk of Osteoporosis.
- Diabetes: Diabetes also known as Madhumeha is due to impaired digestion. Impaired digestion leads to the accumulation of Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) in the pancreatic cells which reduces the function of insulin. Ragi helps to correct impaired digestion and remove Ama due to its Laghu (light to digest) nature. This helps control high blood sugar level.
- High Cholesterol: High cholesterol is due to an imbalance of Pachak Agni (digestive fire). Impaired digestion at the tissue level produces excess waste products or Ama (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion). This causes accumulation of bad cholesterol and blockage in the blood vessels. Ragi helps in controlling high cholesterol because of its Ama reducing property. It also helps to remove blockage from the blood vessels by eliminating toxins.
- NOW, EXTERNAL benefits (on body)
- Anti-Wrinkle: Wrinkles are due to aging, dry skin and lack of moisture. According to Ayurveda, it appears due to an aggravated Vata. Ragi helps in controlling wrinkles due to its Vata balancing property. Ragi also helps in removing dead skin and adds a glow due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) nature (This is in a way applying Ragi powder face pack).
- Anti-dandruff: As per Ayurveda, dandruff is a condition marked by flakes of dry skin on the scalp which may be attributed to an aggravated Vata and Pitta dosha. Ragi has properties of balancing Vata and Pitta dosha and helps to control dandruff (This is by applying Ragi paste with coconut oil on scalp and taking bath after an hour or so).